Madison firefighters responded to an emergency call Tuesday morning one block south of the Dakota State University campus when a fire broke out in the engine compartment of a parked automobile.
At about 11 a.m., two fire trucks were sent to the intersection of N. Harth Ave. and N.E. 5th St., where a two-door Chrysler had caught on fire. The automobile was parked along Harth Ave., and firefighters used a hose and water to extinguish the fire.
Damage was limited to the car's engine compartment area.
The Madison Police Department also responded to the emergency call.
Madison receives two weekend fire calls
The Madison Fire Department received two emergency calls during the Labor Day weekend that involved minor fires both inside and outside of town.
According to Fire Chief Randy Minnaert, two fire trucks were sent to 522 N.E. 5th St. at 6 p.m. on Saturday in response to a call from a Madison residence.
At the scene, firefighters found a section of vinyl siding burning with damage reaching 5 to 6 feet above ground level. Minnaert said the fire had originated from a container used for holding tobacco ash and cigarette butts that stood outside the front of the house. Fire and heat from the container had caught the house siding on fire.
Firefighters finished extinguishing the fire and securing the area by 6:18 p.m. No injuries were reported from the fire call.
On Monday, four fire trucks were sent at 5 p.m. to the residence of Joe Cox located west of Madison.
At the scene, the firefighters found a small grass fire behind a house at 23307 453rd Ave. Only the grass was reported as property damage and no injuries were caused by the fire.
The firefighters returned to the fire station by 5:24 p.m.